Monday, October 16, 2006

Floats through the Air with the Greatest of Ease

Played in a little volleyball tourney this weekend. Made the quarter finals with a fine fella named Sid...not to be confused with the Sid Raspberry from the bowling/Stairmaster days of yore. No, this Sid was a great player, cool guy, and he could jump like a mofo. We played grass doubles from 9-4 with hardly any breaks between games. Great fun, and if it wasn't for my stupid shoulder aching, all would be well. I suppose that I probably shouldn't have played and rested it more, but this is the end of outdoor play, and there are so many attractive people out there, I can't stand to not go.

Today I had to tell the kids that summer is over and fall is here. (boo!) We talked about how leaves fall from the trees, and that's how they remember the season. (This works very well, and they all seem to get it. Of course, the rest of the year when I ask what season it is, they all say fall. In March, I have them march everywhere, and I get them to do chants like they are in the army. Then the rest of the year they hope it is march so they can march all over the place. Quite a teacher here, I know). Anyway, after the kids see me talk about fall, every year (including today) the kids start this strange thing where they bring me in bouquets of dead leaves. I don't think this happens to the other teachers, so I don't know what about me, what I do or say inspires kids to pick these up and hand them to me like they are roses. It is peculiar, and consistent every year. I was trying to drop hints about how much I like coffee and jewelery, but thus far, its roses and weeds that look like flowers.

Just to pat my own back for a segundo...I am very prooud of myself for doing more art in class than in years past. I have 0 creativity, so it is certainly a stretch, but the kids are coo coo for it, and it certainly cutens up the place.

Sniffy had her baby. All is well with the whole family, and the baby looks like Lori (from what I could tell) but with dark hair (lots of it!) I guess since Suri Cruise it is all the rage to have bushels of hair at birth. That beats taping a bow to the head of bald baby girls like my mother did. Apparently I didn't like when she would pull the tape (and my newly sprouting hair) off. How the woman laughs when she tells that story. And she wonders why I'm so sensitive.

3 comments:

Swiss Miss said...

Your mother is hysterically laughing here next to me and can hardly catch her breath...

Okay, enough blogging... we are off to Annecy!

Kid said...

I hope you keep you tongue in your mouth when playing v-ball...especially with all the "talent" out there. ;)

The b-girls pick up fallen leaves every morning when we walk to school and bring to sammy's k teacher. To them the gift of a dead leaf is a diamond. Enjoy it as such.

I love that story. I'll ask your ma for an encore at Thanksgiving!

Costa Rica Chica said...

Happy to see my mother is even amused at someone else telling her story. Must have been quite a sight. Enjoy Annecy.

As for Mr. B and Family, the tongue is in, because I'm sucking wind a majority of the time. It's exhausting being me. Which is helpful in keeping my tongue in one piece.