Sunday, April 23, 2006

My Last Week Off

So this is sadly the last day of my spring break. Then I have 37 working days until summer vacation. Only Memorial Day weekend...I know, cry me a river...

So Hawaii was every bit as relaxing as I hoped. The only let down was the lack of sighting people from Lost. This was made up for by the wealth of attractive people who live there. I learned a fair amount during my travels:

When visiting Pearl Harbor, get there by 7:15am. We got there at 9 and didn't get in until the 1:00 show. This is a lot of time to read stuff. AND we had quite a lovely lunch in the parking lot.

The first POW was captured by the US after the Pearl Harbor attack. He was the midget submarine captain ______. I don't remember his name, but I remember thinking it was odd that they pointed out he was a midget. Because they didn't say the paraplegic American president FDR. Then Manoa pointed out that midget subs were part of the attack and it is a sub style. Oh.

Did you know you can buy cancer insurance? Apparnetly it only costs $25 a year, and when you are diagnosed, you get like $50K to spend however you want. Isn't that great?? Manoa has some, and I told her I hoped she got cancer and not Hodgkins or something else that wouldn't result in a pay-off. So if she ends up with bad news, at least we know it's not ALL bad! (Am I terribly morbid?)

I think I've outgrown my screaming-at-inappropriate-times-phase. I walked into the living room and almost hit Chip the other morning, and I didn't scream in his face. (I think this will please ER and DS who always seemed to take it very personally when I would scream around them.)

Mormons can find me everywhere. I sat next to a very nice one on the plane ride back. He was cute--but short. 5'5". He was stunned when I stood up.

When strange men ask if you want to make a $100, say yes. I earned some quick and kinda painless cash. So I talked to this guy and it was for time share presos. 1.5 hours of high pressure sales, lunch and then you get your cash. The whole thing was kind of funny, and I had to lie (which the marketing guy told me to do) to say I made enough money to go. The sales lady was not very good at all, and if I was in the market for a place, I can't say I'd buy from her. I think she learned real estate sales off of a home video.

Apparently I naturally arch my back and stick out the tatas when waving at passing helicopters holding military folk. Katie pointed this out to her great amusement one day. But can you blame me?

It is impossible to straighten my hair on a tropical island.

Katie wears jeans to work and skirts to the beach. Love the island culture.

And in the interet of continuing the island experience...going to Jimmy Buffet on Tuesday! Salt! Salt!

1 comment:

Manoa Missy said...

It is true. I wouldn't say that I intentionally created situations to ellicit the "screaching 'Rica", but there were several opportunities for a scream, and she didn't utter a peep!