Thursday, July 19, 2007

First in a Series

So Brad's kid is due today. So far, no kid in sight. I did write this sonnet about a week ago in anticipation of the big event. I heard about creating a "sonnet wreath" in which you write a series of sonnets about a particular subject and add on to the series by taking the last line of the previous one and making that the first line of the next one. So the subject will be nephew __________. I'm a big fan of Kevin because that is the name of the boy who chased me in kindergarten. Plus capital K's are just good looking letters.

I don't profess that this is any good mind you. Sonnets can only have 10 syllables per line and need to have every other syllable accented. Which makes rhyming in an abab pattern quite difficult. See, it rhymes on paper, but you can't hear it when you read it out loud. Except the last four line stanza. And the last two lines need to rhyme and present some sort of unexpected change. You should try it. It is hard, but kinda like a puzzle. And it makes your vocabulary (or thesaurus) work overtime.

What I Imagine

It’s the 19th on which we’re set to meet:
But earlier than thought I am hearing,
“He’s just been born!” and my heart skips a beat,
To think that Brad’s a dad, eyes start tearing.

Fidgeting fingers and ten twinkley toes,
Your head trumps Nathan’s and now I’ve just seen,
That there’s no escape from the Bamford nose,
A tow-head no doubt, not one titian gene.

I’ll hold you on this your only birth day,
Perfect white skin a magnet for kisses,
Is an honor and gift, for which I’ll pay,
All that I have, plus three magic wishes.

But aunts ask questions not all of them sweet,
“Can-those-be-Foss tiny fingers and feet?”

No comments: