Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Screamers, Criers and Runners...Oh my!

So school started last Thursday, and today was the first day that had no one screaming, running for the door or crying all day. Yep, those first three days were just lovely. Prying crying children away from their mothers...Really feel good kinda moments. Here are some things that I have learned so far from this batch of kids...
  1. Kids must have no sense of tone because they all like the way I sing. They break into applause when I stop. Go figure. Wait, maybe that's why they start. Hmm.
  2. Blowing bubbles makes screaming children stop.
  3. I am taller (again) than all the fathers of kids in my class.
  4. People (kids and adults) understand my Spanish and seem to believe I understand them. They don't go any slower when I say despacio however, so I could be mistaken.

On a tooting my own horn note, I was very proud to see the results from the writing prompts last year. The year before I started, 56% of kindergartners were at grade level or above. Last year, 78% of students were at or above. Great improvement, and I am really excited for this year.

Hoping to use this to record funny happenings so I can eventually write the sequel to Kindergarten Cop. As always, comments/critiques are welcome!

2 comments:

Kid said...

I think they changed the test format to single answer "multiple choice" to increase the scores.

Costa Rica Chica said...

hey, writing your name is a passing grade on the SAT. Speaking of that, who scored the highest between the F family and the B family...hmm. How did I end up in the lowest paying job? Difference between street and book smarts I'm guessing.